Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Halloween!

To be fair, I attended a Halloween party in November, so this post was already going to be delayed. Also I went on holiday for one week. Somehow this means the past three weeks have passed in the blink of an eye, causing me to have a minor panic attack today over the proximity of December.
Anyway, I'll work through that grand issue on my own time. Now I will show you the joys of making Candy Apples. I followed a recipe from a vlog (linked below). It was nice and straight forward. We did about 12 apples but spread them out over three batches. I knew I couldn't work fast enough without all of the candy crystallizing or growing too cold.
Waiting for their Bath

This was sort of fun. I'm not a huge fan of making candy because it's finicky and dangerous like a grandma off her meds. We coloured it green because it was Halloweenish. Oh wait, if you read the blog in March, you know we coloured it green because I have A LOT of green food colouring. Nothing gets past you.
For the record they are supposed to be irregular. We drizzled the hardening candy over the top for a spooky effect. In hindsight this was a brilliant idea. If you are going to make candy apples for the first time, do it for Halloween. Any defects are easily disguised!


The highlight was when Mike tried to argue with me over how the molten candy in the bowl would not be hot. After deciding that I was wrong he reached in to pull out the cinnamon stick. I didn't really have to defend my point. The low light was when some candy dripped off the apple on to my hand. Now I have a pretty pink scar.

Links



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0-j8peCBY4

No comments:

Post a Comment